The Social Dilemma, one of the most splendid documentary I have seen in a while, shows the rise of social media and the damage it has caused to society.
Reasons why you should watch this documentary to understand.
- If the you are not paying for the product, then you are the product.
The Goal is to increase the user’s screen time, each of your activity online is being tracked, every like you hit, every comment you post, every video you watched, how long you watched, what leads you to this action, each and every small action you took consciously or unconsciously. Once companies have this information then artificial intelligence comes into the picture.
Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions.
Since companies have all the information on how you behave, what actions you take on certain conditions, they have built AI for each and everyone which gives the content feed what as a user you will like, creates a personalised experience for everyone. Now the even more dangerous thing comes in the picture called Machine learning (that provides systems the ability to automatically learn and improve from the experience without being explicit programmed) which learn from action and improves the judgement accordingly to increase the accuracy.
- There are only two industries that call their customers ‘users’, illegal drugs and software.
- Engagement: This is the important aspect, to keep user more engaged by sending them the notification, showing the information that user want to see. The time you spent on one video is also tracked to analyze your interest on the feed.
- Growth: Friends suggestion, allowing friends to tag in, one more the very common way “Say Hi” to your friend who recently joined messenger.
- Revenue: Ok, Just login to gmail and go to Google search, search a product and you will see the same product ads will start appearing everywhere for you, if you don’t take action later you will see the same product with some discount.
- Age of disinformation/false news can lead us to the civil war.
Due to large number of user no application can distinguish between the truth and the fake news. [Study: On Twitter, false news travels faster than true stories] MIT study found that falsehood diffuses significantly farther, faster, deeper, and more broadly than the truth, in all categories of information, and in many cases by an order of magnitude.
Thanks for reading it.