“Today is all about Software,” Apple CEO Tim said as he took the stage at WWDC 2018.
It all started with statistics.
- 20 million iOS developers
- 500 million weekly app store visits
- 81% using iOS 11 where only 8% using latest Android
- Developers earned 100 million through App Store
- New iOS 12 will be released as a free update, every model back to the 5S will get a performance boost.
- ARKit, second generation, which included a lot of cool updates, most interesting is the ability for multiple users to observe and interact with the same environment from different angles.
- Apple Screen time, now iOS 12 will tell you how much time you’re spending with your iPhone and which are the apps.
- Do not disturb a lot of improvements, while you are sleeping will hide the notification, one step one time notifications.
- Photos, with iOS 12 they have revamped it. Allowing more search options driven by AI, share the photos through iMessage.
- Siri, it’s handling 10 billion requests per month and now Apple is allowing you to interact with it more, create shortcuts to trigger app features.
- Animojis, more personal now. It’s super accurate, face-tracking and tongue tracking capabilities. Surely it will feel you very familiar.
- Group FaceTime, now chat with 32 people at once with emoji, sticker, and other effects support.
iOS Apps updates
- Stocks, new UI with better performance
- Apple News app.
- Apple iBooks getting a redesign and a new name.
- Voice Memos, iPad getting it for the first time and recording will be now synced to iCloud.
So far biggest functions of the Apple iWatch is fitness, now Apple adding more components which let you challenge your friends.
- Automatic workout detection using your heart-beats(once you stop working out your heart rate decreases, so it will automatically stop).
- Walkie-Talkie, Texting/phone are tough using watch screen so Apple added an instant audio messaging app called walkie-talkie (uses the wifi or cellular to interact with other devices).
- Siri on Watch, allow third-party apps to show you more information. Now just lift your wrist and start talking it means no more “Hey Siri”.
- Podcasts app is coming on your wrist.